Thursday, January 19, 2012

A need: Women to mother a new mother

Wynter is almost a month old.  The time really flies by!  She no longer looks like a brand new newborn, she can lift her head quite well, has rolled over twice, doesn't fit into many of her newborn clothes, and has large periods of being awake during the day.  She's still a newborn, but not a new newborn.  One whole month has almost gone and it feels as though it was only one week.

Something I've been painfully aware of (both from the early weeks and months with Oliver, and again this time) is the need to have a group of women who can take a bit of time during the week to help me out.  My family can only do so much and they only have so much time.  I am thankful for everything they do, but more is needed.  If we were more settled here I may have more people in my life who would willingly help, and that is part of the trouble.  Aside from my own situation though I've noticed there is a need, a need for women to help women through the first 2-3 months after a baby is born. 

Things that women can do to help new mothers (and I don't mean new as in first time being a mother, but new as in they have a newborn to care for) is offer to bring over meals, spend time with any older children, clean their home, do their laundry, watch the baby/kids so the new mommy can get a nap, go to LLL meetings with her for support, grocery shop for her, visit with her so she can have some adult interaction, go on a walk with her and the baby/kids, etc.  As a new mother I've spent the last 3 weeks doing a majority of my own cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and rarely get a nap, and I do not get out of the house during the week at all.  I need a support system.

Now, I know if I am going through this, other moms are too!  And I bet many of them regularly attend church and/or have a group of friends.  This is sad to me.  I think many churches are neglecting this area of ministry.  Maybe they aren't aware it's such a need, or they don't have women that are able to minister this way, but it is a great need and a beautiful way we women can actively display the love of Christ to mothers. 

This society tells us that we shouldn't ask for help.  New mothers are told that they will need help, a support system, and to reach out if they are experiencing symptoms of post partum depression, and yet I know for myself asking for help feels like an admission of failure or inadequacy, and if I feel that way I'm sure others have/ do also.  Because of this I believe that not only should churches have a ministry that helps new mothers, but this help should be offered to them, lets not wait until they ask for it.

I know that there are priorities that need to come before mothering a new mother.  Taking care of ones own family and their needs, work, school, etc.  And in no way do I think anyone should neglect those responsibilities in order to serve someone else, but there must be a few women in each church that can take an hour or so out of their day once a week to meet the needs of a new mother. 

And I want to say I'm not saying all this because I want a bunch of women to come help me now.  I'm saying this because I do need, and would appreciate such help, but more so because if I need it others do too and I think we ought to be meeting this need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)