Monday, May 7, 2012

My Parenting Decisions: Babywearing

Babywearing with a Moby Wrap.
I didn't learn about babywearing until after Oliver was older, and to be honest my current knowledge is very limited still.  I'm constantly learning more and more about it nearly every day!  So far I have, and have tried 3 different carriers, a Snuggli buckle carrier, a Moby Wrap, and an Infantino Mei Tai.

I hated the Snugli.  It was awkward and uncomfortable.  I barely used it.  Recently I learned that this specific kind of carrier isn't actually a good one to use.  They generally are uncomfortable to wear, and the way that baby sits in it isn't that great for their physical development.
Similar to the Snuggli I have and don't use.

The Moby Wrap is categorized under stretchy wraps, and is pretty comfortable to use for newborns and older.  The instructions say you can use them for babies up to 35lbs, but I've found that after about 20lbs they get pretty awkward.  Wynter is about 16lbs now and I rarely use the Moby anymore.  For newborns through the first 3-4 months though they are great!  I especially love how they look even though wrapping can be a little cumbersome until you get used to it.
Wearing Wynter in the Moby Wrap, about 1 month old.

So far my favorite carrier, for ease of use and comfort level, is the Mei Tai.  The one I have is made by Infantino.  I also love how they look.  Mei Tai's can be used for three different kinds of carries, front, side, and back.  I have only used the front carry so far but I plan on trying a back carry soon.
Wynter at 4 months old, Infantino Mei Tai.
I'm no expert on babywearing and all the do's and don'ts so here are some links for that sort of info:

For information on correct positioning
Safety Tips
Dr. Sears Babywearing Info List

 Rental Service

Because I hate it when people promote something that is wonderful and good, but don't tell you about possible downsides, let me just tell you that while I find babywearing to be fun and useful it can be cumbersome.  I don't wear Wynter at home often, but I do find it useful for trips to the mall or going on walks.  Babywearing is something I love, but mostly in certain situations.  You have to find your own reasons for doing it, and the carriers that work the best for you and are comfortable for your baby.  I definitely recommend it though, and I can't wait to try more carriers and different ways of wearing Wynter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)