Monday, November 14, 2011

'I can do everything myself'

I am 34 weeks pregnant with our second child, a little girl.  We are both very excited to meet our darling Wynter.  No one is more excited than I am though.  Just thinking of all the things I'll be able to do after she is born makes me grin with anticipation.  Things like lying on my stomach, walking without pain, being able to see my feet again, being able to bend over to pick something up and twist and bend in many different directions to reach something, all seemingly little things, but they become things you desire when you are without the ability to do them. 

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to, other than holding our precious baby, is being physically able to really care for our home.  I take great pleasure in having a tidy and clean home for Andrew to come home to after his 10 hour work days.  Lately, for the past 2 weeks I'd say, I've been physically unable to do this as much as I'd like.  I get behind with the dishes, and am only able to do the bare minimum with the rest of the house.  The pleasure I take from having a clean home is something I've had to let go of, but not only that, I've had to learn to accept help from Andrew to keep up with things.  I do not enjoy asking him to cook dinner when he's just got home from a long day of work, or asking him to pick our sons toys up at the end of the day, in fact I can feel downright guilty for asking for his help.

Over the past two weeks, as I've learned to pleasantly ask for help and graciously accept it when given or offered, I've realized that this is the same attitude I sometimes have in asking God for His help.  I want to think I can do it all myself (another control issue? I think so!), and when I can't and I am forced to turn to God for help I feel ashamed and weak.  What I need to remember is that I cannot do anything without God's help!  It is not a show of weakness, or something to be ashamed of, asking for help is a sign of humility.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)