Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Attachment Parenting and a New Project!

I've started a new project with a friend and have been reluctant to share it here simply because of what we named it: AP Momtography.  AP stands for Attachment Parenting. Attachment Parenting often comes with a stigma of elite-ism when viewed from the outside, and I certainly don't want to come across at an elitist.  In my mind, attachment parenting is doing what is best for your babies and your family.  That won't look the same for each family, so where does the stigma of elite-ism come from?

I think that all parents, with all different styles of parenting, have a tendency to believe that their way is best.  Maybe it comes from telling ourselves that what we are doing as parents is best for us and our kids, or maybe it's just the desire to be "right".  Either way, we end up judging parents who aren't doing things the way we think they should.  We might not even realize we're doing it until someone else does it to us.  I try very hard to not be judgmental, but I am guilty of it (and definitely not proud of it).

So, what is Attachment Parenting to me?  This is a question I've been asking myself a lot since starting this new project.  There are some big names attached to this style of parenting.  Dr. Sears, who I love, is one of them.  He has a whole section dedicated to AP on his website.  There are certain parenting choices that make up AP, but in my eyes these aren't necessarily the essence of this style. I like that Dr. Sears points out that AP is an approach to parenting, and that it's simply a place to start.  You don't have to breastfeed, babywear, and co-sleep to be an attachment parent.  It's more about bonding with your children, the relationship between parent and child.  In our home it's also about maintaining a good marriage because a good marriage, a good relationship between me and my husband, is something that will stick with our children the rest of their lives and it sets the tone for our family dynamic.

I don't normally associate this label with myself openly because there can be a lof of disdain for it, and a lot of assumptions about my parenting and I'd rather my parenting style just speaks for itself.  I believe I have a good relationship with my husband and my kids.  I try to build these relationships up every day.  Some days I fail.  Other days I succeed.  I am not perfect, and I think I try to keep that the main focus.  I am not a perfect parent, but I am a parent who loves her children and always desires and strives to demonstrate that love for them in many different ways.

On that note, I welcome you to join me over at AP Momtography, if only for the lovely photographs we are posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)