Monday, August 12, 2013

The Homeschooling Choice: Part 3

Reason #4

Flexibility.  

While I believe that a routine, and a consistent schedule are helpful for Oliver, there are days where the needs of the day require a change in routine.  Sometimes those needs are Oliver's own needs.  For example, today he was ready to start school an hour earlier than we started all last week.  While I did stretch his patience a little, we ended up starting at 8:20am instead of 9am.

There will be days where I am sick and just cannot go anywhere or do anything; days where Wynter is needier than usual, or fussier, and the school day can be adjusted for that.  These are things we'd have to push through if Oliver was in public school, but at home we can assess the day and plan accordingly.

We also have the option of doing fun outings while other kids are in school.  Trips to the zoo, or the park, or the Children's Museum, are all easier to do when they are less crowded during the week.

Reason #5

The joy of watching my children learn and grow.

Just today Wynter strung beads on pipe cleaner with Oliver and I.  I didn't know she could do that, and I might not have given her the task if I hadn't first given it to Oliver.  Then, a bit later, Oliver and I were focused on some workbook tasks, the idea is for me to tell him what to color with a crayon and he is to follow the direction and correctly identify what I've asked him to.  Normally he'll scribble lightly on the picture or letter or number, but today, out of nowhere, he circled every item I asked him to identify.  If I was not the one teaching him I may not have had the joy of being the first one to witness this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)