Saturday, August 17, 2013

With the Good Comes the Bad

I am so very pleased that Oliver's communication has blossomed, seemingly overnight!  He's answering questions to the best of his ability, requesting things, and even asking for help. I love it!  Our first real conversation occurred Wednesday while playing outside.  I was talking with our neighbor about my camera, and Oliver comes up to me and pats my leg requesting attention.  I turned to him and the following is as close to what was actually said as I can remember:

Me: Yes?
Oliver: Help please.
Me: You need help? What do you need help with?
Oliver: Bicycle.
Me: You need help getting your tricycle?
Oliver: (nodding his head) Uh huh.

I was ecstatic!  If I hadn't been in front of a stranger I would have shouted for joy, maybe even danced!  It was a beautiful moment. 

However, (and I'm told this is perfectly normal, though difficult to deal with) we're seeing some behaviors that either weren't there before or are increasing in intensity.  Do you know what "stimming" is?  It's also called perseverating.

Perseverating: present participle of
perseverate

Verb
Repeat or prolong an action, thought, or utterance after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased.
Oliver perseverates both verbally and physically.  A verbal perseveration might be repeating a question or phrase over and over, to the point where it is no longer a response to an occurrence.

For example: Oliver stands on the couch and jumps off, and I exclaim, "Oh my!".  Oliver then repeats my exclamation.  Repeating that sort of exclamation once or twice is him learning language and communication by imitatating me.  Repeating it 5+ times becomes Oliver perseverating.  He might like the sound of the words, or the feel of saying them, I rarely know why something turns into a repetative action or verbalization.

An example of physical perseveration is when Oliver takes his hand and begins to tap it against his mouth.  He also will hit his stomach or chest repeatedly, or literally bounce himself off walls, or spin in circles, or hit his head with both hands in a frantic motion.  These actions seem to be more in response to an overwhelming of his senses.  Some are done in frustration, but others start as a simply enjoyable act and turn into a source of frustration, like the tapping of his mouth while saying "aaaaaaahhhh".  It begins as a pleasurable action because he likes the sound and/or feel, but quickly derails into a frantic and obviously upsetting ordeal.

So, back on track, while Oliver's language is developing beautifully and I am so happy every time we hold a little conversation, a little bad has come with the good. Two steps forward, one step back.

Side note: While I don't think that all perseverating is bad, there seems to have been a dramatic increase in the "self harm" variety.  He's not truly harming himself, but hitting himself would be classified as such.  Our response to such stimming is to redirect him to hit a pillow, or to attempt to calm him using soothing words and touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)