Monday, August 5, 2013

The Homeschooling Choice: Part 1

I had this long, detailed, post planned out.  I meant to explain all our considerations, and the depth of thought that went into our choice, but as I was writing I felt less and less like I needed to explain our choice that much.  I decided it would be a lot less time consuming to just share a reason or two throughout several blog posts.

Reason #1:

At home Oliver can receive one on one attention that is tailored to him, in an environment that he is already familiar with and comfortable in, from a teacher (myself) that truly desires only the best for him.

That statement is fairly vague on purpose, it practically covers all of our reasons in one sentence.  If that one sentence above is true, there ought to be no question that homeschooling is best for Oliver right now. We believe it to be true, which is why we have no doubt that we've made the right decision.

Reason #2:

We have chosen for me to stay at home for a reason, to be with our children. I want to be the one they learn from in the early years, the one they look to for guidance.  I believe that they will gain confidence and independence as they grow older by knowing that they can find safety and comfort in their parents.  With Oliver at 3 years old, I don't feel comfortable handing off the main duty of his learning to someone I don't know, and is not as invested in his life and learning.

I'm so blessed to be able to stay at home with our kids, and I feel that Oliver's diagnosis does not negate my ability as his mother to provide the early learning that he needs, that any child needs.  Yes, his early learning needs to be very specific, but it's also my belief that not every child learns the same way and all learning ought to be as tailored to a child as possible.  I'm also thankful that I am able to learn how to teach Oliver by sitting in on his therapy sessions, and having honest discussions with his therapists.  I have learned so much from them!


2 comments:

  1. I think you are going to do an awesome job teaching Oliver! I think it's just so clear that as his parent, you're obviously the perfect person to be teaching him, since you have his absolute best interests in mind, you know better than anyone how he reacts and works, and you are the one who sits in on his therapy sessions, so you can learn from them how to teach him.
    So yes. I love that you decided to homeschool him!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristi! It's very clear to me too, but not so much to other people. I feel so at peace and content with the decision, and I love seeing him learn and seeing what he already knows while I'm teaching him.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we have a little chat? I would love to hear what you have to say! (Please remember to be kind with your words.)